Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Nearly a year

So many people ask, "Why Bunbury?" It reminds me of what I asked people up at UMaine, when I'd meet someone from out of state. Why do we always ask this question? Just because Bunbury isn't Sydney, or Melbourne, or Brisbane, doesn't mean it isn't a gem in it's own right. The fact is, at some point, someone decided Paris, Sicily, New York City, Sydney, etc. etc. was going to be the next greatest place. Then someone else went along with it. And then another person. Until before they knew it, a big, beautiful city was built, known for it's romance, high life, etc. Millions of people flock to it. Young adults yearn to live there, before they know anything other than the pictures they see and the movies they watch.

I've learned that people don't appreciate their home and their hometown, no matter where you go. Maybe sometimes, at a sports event, or if something flipping sweet happens. I mean, obviously not EVERYONE is like this. But as a teen, I didn't appreciate Wells, or Maine at all, really. I wanted to get out and try something new. I'm glad I did. Because now that I have, I know all the reasons why I love Maine and New England so very much. And I don't know that I would've been able to appreciate it's beauty and awesomeness if I hadn't left it.

Catch ya on the flip side.


No comments:

Post a Comment