Okay, I am downright embarrassed that it has taken this long to update! I know my excuse is that we are busy, but it's a good excuse because....it's.....true?
First of all, we had an AMAZING time in Tasmania. It was beautiful and we did so much exploring. Here's a link to photos from our trip!!!
You can also find videos from our trip here (on the right you will see my "uploads", those are the ones that we have uploaded from our camera from the trip)
On a sappy side note, I can't believe we have been together for 5 years. We have done so much together already, and I feel so LUCKY to have married my best friend. Ben is the most loyal, patient, and beautiful person I have ever met. Awwwwwwww. Okay, that's enough.
So anyway, the month of November has been insanely busy. I've had exhibition openings every weekend, and parties, and social stuff going on. Not to mention running around trying to find the time to put together Christmas gifts that are virtually weightless to send home. That is a very difficult task: finding Christmas gifts for family members that don't weigh very much, but are still things that people will like. They're finally done and being posted today! Whooohooooo!!
Here's a list of what's coming up:
- 24th: Thanksgiving dinner at a fellow American's house (Trish, she is from California)
- 26th: Julie working in the morning
- 26th: Birthday picnic for our Irish friend in the park
- 26th: Birthday party for Trish (she is also having a '90's theme birthday party!!!!! We had both planned this before we even met, weird!)
- 27th-30th: Sunday, catching the train to Perth for two trainings (I'm scared to do this)
- 27th-30th: Julie at trainings and meetings until Wednesday night, Ben working/playing soccer/squash/bowls
- 2nd: Soccer Christmas party (for Ben)
- 3rd: Julie working in the morning, '90's theme party at night! (We are going as Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love, so obviously we will have cardboard cut outs of a shotgun and a guitar. Since there is speculation that Kurt Cobain didn't actually commit suicide and Courtney Love killed him, and they were BOTH rockers that played the guitar, it is unclear of who will be carrying which cut out.) *On a side note, we will need to buy cigarettes for our costumes (don't worry we won't really smoke them), but I am putting it off because
b) I don't know HOW to ask. These are the possible ways I have come up with:
"Umm, yes, Mother May I have some Marlboro Cigarettes?" OR
"Umm, yes, Mother May I have some cigarettes like Cruella de Vil smokes?" OR
"Yo yo yiggity yo, gimme some smokes, mothaf****" (sorry parents, but I think this may be the most believable way to ask)
- 8th: Engineers Australia gathering
- 10th-11th: Julie working a Poetry Performance
- 15th: Exhibition opening
- 16th: Our Christmas party
- 24th: Going up to a friend's in Perth for Christmas Eve/Christmas morning
- 25th: Christmas! Skyping with parents and hanging out with friends
Things calm down...finally!
Ben and I have booked a trip to Ningaloo Reef at the end of February/beginning of March. This is something we've heard about since we arrived in Australia. Everyone knows about the Great Barrier Reef, but this is an incredibly long reef on the North Western coast. It spans 250+ kms (155+ miles). The difference between the Great Barrier and Ningaloo is that, when you go to the Great Barrier, you have to book a tourist trip to do it. They have to actually put you on a boat to take you to the Reef. At Ningaloo, the Reef is off of the coast in the National Park, so you literally just wade in and snorkel anywhere you like. We have heard soooo many people talk about Ningaloo, and it sounds absolutely incredible. There are over 500 species of tropical fish! Whale sharks, manta rays, sea turtles, the list goes on. I can't wait!!! Whenever we take vacations, we always end up so excited that we go go go every day. This trip will be one solid week of floating in the ocean and snorkeling. I absolutely cannot WAIT!
Some info and pictures on Ningaloo: http://www.discoverwest.com.au/western_australia/ningaloo_reef.html
We have also decided to fly there. It takes a good two days to drive (it's like an 18 hour drive one way), and we are just not that interested in spending more than half of our time driving up and driving back. We are staying in a YHA Hostel (these are accredited and international) in a double-room with a private bathroom (so we will not be sharing with any weirdos, don't worry.) Yayyayayayayayayayyyyy for adventures!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah, Halloween was great too. Our costumes were a hit!
Teenage mutant ninja turtles, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, HEROES IN A HALF SHELL! TURTLE POWER! (We are still finding green paint everywhere.)
Okay, that's enough.
I CAN'T BELIEVE I ALMOST FORGOT! We had sold our really hideous couch and two chairs before we went to Tassie because our friend Graham was going to get a new one before Halloween. Things changed for him, so he had still not sold us his couches, so we were sitting on the floor on a futon mattress. We went out last weekend to a used furniture store and bought two new couches! They don't match, but they are both VERY clean and VERY comfy!! Will take pictures soon and post them. I want to get couch covers for them, but we are having a hard time finding any that will fit. We also bought some bar stools that are SOOOO comfortable. Doesn't this just make you want to come out and visit us?!?
Alright, that's it for now. Oh yeah, our jobs are going very well. :)
1 1/2 years down....